Saturday, April 02, 2005

Popewatch

Well, it appears that the Pope is in fact peacing out. Although for a while last night, it was hard to get a straight answer on his condition. First he was alive, then dead, then alive again. So confusing. Current status check: alive.

I'm a fan of this pope. First of all, nobody even thought he would be pope. But I think it was the influence of the Holy Spirit that allowed him to be voted in. Clearly, he had a major positive influence on the world during his reign. I mean, come on now: He helped bring about the fall of Communism. He laid the smackdown on President Bush over the Iraq war. And to the guy who shot him: Don't worry, man, it's cool. I ask you, my friends, who does that??? Not to mention the fact that the Pope visited just about every single place on Earth. Apologized to the Jews. Supported the cause of Palestinian statehood. Brought attention the poor and marginalized people of the world. Defended life (babies, criminals, and vegetables!).

I mean, sure, there are issues on which I disagreed with the Pope. However, I feel that overall he is a really good guy, and I wouldn't have minded at all if he hung around for a while longer. God knows who the next pope will be...

(Status Check: alive)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that he apoligized for the crusades, the spanish inquisition, and for many many other mistakes that church has made.

It also maked me happy that he would speak with many leader for other religions... like the Dali Lama.